Monday, January 9, 2012

Spice up your morning!

With this:

...Or with this:



Last night I signed up for the "7-day portion control challenge" hosted by Vegetarian Times. It begins on Jan 15, but I don't know exactly what it entails. I came across the program's sample 7-day menu, and being the oatmeal lover that I am, I immediately saw the recipe for overnight chai steel-cut oats! Of course I can never follow a recipe exactly, so I used this as an inspiration for today's breakfast.

Last night, I cooked 2 tbsp steel-cut oats in 1/2 cup of water and added: 1 tsp honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, and crushed pepper! Yes, you read it right - crushed PEPPER! Never in a million years did I think I would be adding pepper to my morning bowl of oats!

The oats cooked for about 30 min. I then turned off the heat, mixed in 1 tsp of chia seeds, and covered to stand overnight.

This morning, I added a little more water and reheated. Topped with a few crushed pistachios and hemp seeds...

...And let me tell you - it was perfect! A perfect combination of spicy flavorful + sweet.

 



Served with my morning cup of coffee and a small bite of Wasa bread topped with 1 tsp of MaraNatha Creamy Almond Butter {looove it!}.

I then quickly prepared a sweet little snack to hold me over til lunch! A sweetie {a.k.a. oroblanco}...


*****
My foot was sore when I woke up :( The sun is out and the air is nice cool and crisp, but looks like I won't be going for a run like yesterday. Methinks it's a good day for some yoga!

How do you stay active on days when you have to "take it easy"?

Have a very Happy Tuesday!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment