Sunday, January 8, 2012

Heart healthy. Mentally crazy.

As a second year med student, I have to agree... it's hard not to become a hypochondriac. Reading about cardiomyopathies, arrhythmias, and heart failure is pretty cool scary! At the same time, I really appreciate the knowledge I'm gaining - with this knowledge I hope to make healthy choices (or, realize when the ones I make are not so good for me) and to encourage my future patients to live healthier and happier.

With nothing but cardiopulmonary shtuff in my head right now, let's look at some of the heart-healthy eats & treats I've had today since lunch.

Cherries. I love cherries. Minus my purple tongue... Kitty Gizmo loves cherries too??



Gizzie didn't actually eat my cherries. She just likes to be photographed :)



And you can't be a medical student without appreciating coffee's caffeine antioxidants! A small cup of joe plus my favorite Raw Crunch Bar, and my heart is ready to pump all that blood to my brain for some productivity til dinner! (I hope)



*****
An hour later, I heard my stomach growl... Either I'm hungry or just stressed? Both?

So I ran to the kitchen and made me a bowl of fruit soup salad = grapefruit + sweetie + defrosted blueberries (not sure why they were defrosting... Hope no one was planning on using them...). I love this fruit combo because it's easy to digest and won't cause any GI problems in my already exam-irritated tummy!



*****

I am so grateful to be living at home while attending med school. My mom and grandma take such good care of me!

Tonight's dinner was prepared by the best grandma in the whole wide world. My grandma doesn't believe in leftovers or frozen meals. Yes, she is one of those! She knows exactly how much to make for every member of the family, and she cooks with fresh ingredients. Best of all, while she makes many traditional Russian dishes, like borscht and perojki, she loves to experiment, too! Her motto - she works with what she has!

Looks like tonight she had halibut, string beans, and cabbage!

And yes, I'm spoiled.



Dinner Menu:

  • Salad

  • Halibut cooked in olive oil with onions, dried dill, and tzatziki

  • String beans

  • Sautéed cabbage (with onions and a squeeze of ketchup!)


And after such a lovely time with my family, I once again ran away to my books!

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment