Saturday, January 21, 2012

Love my roots

20120121-213218.jpg

You're probably thinking all I eat is beets and salad, and this is partially true. My family eats salad everyday - it's an essential component of every dinner.

And we love beets. Beets are definitely a Russian thing. They are the basis of borscht and many other traditional dishes, such as "Vinaigrette" and "Shuba" (a salad made with herring). Sugar is also made from a sweet beets!

Beets are en excellent source of folate, vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. And beets grow year-round, which is probably why it's a Russian staple, given that Russian weather isn't the most crop-friendly, unless you are a root vegetable! :)

Same goes for carrots and potatoes - more root vegetables to love and to eat year-round!

Carrots nourish your body with vitamins A, C, and K, potassium, alpha- and beta-carotene antioxidants, and fiber. If I could, I would eat carrots all the time. I love them that much. I don't, however, because it takes only a handful of carrots for the palms of my hands to turn orange. I'm not kidding :)

Potatoes are an equivalent of bread to Russians! Mashed, baked, fried, we eat them all, and you guessed it - year-round! :) When baked with skin, potatoes are a great source of vitamins B6 and C, thiamin,niacin, folate, iron, potassium, and fiber. Sounds like the profile of all fortified cereals and breads, doesn't it? Yup!

...And so... tonight's dinner was a wonderful combination of salad, wild caught salmon, and caramelized carrots and beets. Everything was cooked with coconut oil - a new and favorite superfood in our kitchen!

Tonight's sweet treat featured these beautiful little guys... I love cherries!

20120121-223326.jpgDon't forget to enter the Food Should Taste Good giveaway!

xoxo. Veronica

P.S. Here is a great guide to eating seasonal!

No comments:

Post a Comment