Wednesday, February 29, 2012

#WIAW with Ancient Grains


...and I'm back with my WIAW Numero TRES! I miss photographing every single one of my eats... I still find myself trying to make all of my food "look  pretty." I guess that's just a little joy in my life. Oh the love life of a foodie...


So let's recap today's eats & treats!


{Breakfast - 6:30am} Ancient Grains Oats


20120229-220808.jpg


Stir together:

Topped with (& ultimately stirred in):


  • 1/4 cup Cooked wheat berries

  • 1 tbsp Popped quinoa (yes! popped! here is how - be sure to cover the skillet or else you'll have quinoa everywhere!) >>> LOVED the crunch!


20120229-220800.jpg


{Morning Snack - 10am} 1 Hard-boiled egg + 1 Egg White, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder


How do you hard boil your eggs? Here is how I do it, and it couldn't be easier! Comes out perfect each time. The egg is such a wonderful nutritional source for anythingarians! Don't fear the yolk, please. It's packed with omega-3s and folate, which are not found in the egg white, by the way. And just like the beloved egg white, it's loaded with protein.


20120229-220816.jpg


{Lunch - 1pm} Mixed green salad with salmon, steamed string beans, and a little bit of more popped quinoa for more crunch!


20120229-220828.jpg


20120229-220833.jpg


{Afternoon Snack - 4pm} Borsht and whole wheat flat bread with a slice of Lite Swiss. I love this cheese. All natural and with 50 calories, 7g of protein, and 4% total fat (8% DV saturated) - you can't get much better than that!


20120229-220837.jpg


20120229-221246.jpg


...and last but not least... {Dinner - 7pm} Mixed salad, pasta with grass-fed beef, onions, and mushrooms, and Russian Salad "Vinegret" (made of cooked beets, potatoes, dill pickles, and sour kraut)... I admit to helping myself to probably 3x the pictured portion of Vinegret... I never put a limit on my veggie intake :)


20120229-221252.jpg


20120229-221301.jpg


And a litt bite to satisfy a sweet craving... I made these chocolate chip cookies the other day for my friend's birthday! I followed Liz's recipe, and yes, I used my CHO, too! These cookies were wonderful. My modification: I added chopped toasted almonds!


20120229-221307.jpg

P.S. How do you like my new nailpolish? It's actually dark brown, bu turned out burgundy in these photos (and my skin looks red?!?!).


P.P.S... speaking of CHO... There is just a few hours left to enter my Chobani giveaway! Hope you did it already! There is nothing better than a company that makes good quality, good-for-you products... or perhaps there is! A company that does both and is super kind, supportive, and generous! Chobani donates 10% of its profits to charity, and constantly sponsors events. The reasons to love Chobani seem to be endless. :)







P.P.P.S. Today's strength-training featured the following:




  • 3 sets of 12 squats

  • 50 alternating lunges

  • 3 sets of 12 wide-armed pushups (2 sets done on knees... I'm getting there!)

  • 3 sets of 25 sec wall squats (these really made my thighs burn!)


And that's a wrap, my dears! Hope your week is going well! And thanks to everyone for your support of some of the changes that I (and my blog!) am going through. You da best! ;)

5 comments:

  1. Love the nail polish!
    I wish I had your dedication to photographing every meal. I have such a hard time remembering and then I wind up taking pictures of my half-eaten food. haha.
    Everything looks delicious, by the way! I never limit my veggie intake either. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. your food pics are always so pretty! what kind of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the nail polish! i havent seen and eaten borscht in ages. i remember having it in a georgian restaurant on my birthday a couple of years ago and was so hooked on it! ever since i have been sticking to grated beetroot salads though, maybe i should make a borscht version soon again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pre! Let me preface by saying that YOUR photos are wonderful - as is your blog!
    ...and I'm embarrassed to admit that all of my photos are taken with an iPhone... and edited with a free Photoshop app called PS Express! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats awesome! I started off taking all my pictures my iphone too! I still use it for convenience at times. It's so handy and the pictures are actually really good. Your pics are great - I'll have to look into that app :)

    ReplyDelete