Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Wheatberry-Rice Plov {pilaf?}


20120207-214250.jpg
20120207-214255.jpg
While I was at school, my grandma made "Plov" - I think it's called pilaf here?

You start by saunteing diced onion and shredded carrot, then add meat of choice (or none at all) and let it sear just so the outside cooks. In the meantime, rinse rice and then add to the frying pan. Pour over water or stock (2x the volume of rice), season with salt and pepper, cover and cook until done, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.

When I got home, I made some slight alterations to this dish (which is one of my favorites! But then again, there is nothing I don't love that my grandma makes!)... 

I combined 1/2 cup of plov with 1/2 cup of the wheatberries I made last night. A side of pan-roasted Brussels sprouts for extra green! 

I loved the extra chewiness and crunch (and the nutrition punch!) that the wheatberries added to this traditional rice entree. Two thumbs up to moi!

No comments:

Post a Comment