Friday, February 3, 2012

A cultural experience {Russian cuisine}


20120203-180101.jpg
Of course my grandma had to go all out with today's lunch! That's what happens when we make a trip to a wholesale Russian store! It's one of those trips that we make at most twice a year... In other words, we get really excited and want to by everything.

Today's lunch featured soup made of sorrel/ spinach dock, and from my understanding/experience, it isn't commonly eaten here. It's a green leafy vegetable that's actually quite sour. We only use it in soups, but I can imagine including it in salads and sauces, too!

The second dish is a potato-herring salad called shuba. Shuba means "fur coat", but don't worry - there is no fur involved! It simply symbolizes the way the salad is prepared - the ingredients are added in layers,  as if you are layering up your clothes to brace yourself for the cold Russian winter! This is one of theee most traditional Russian dishes you'll  ever hear about. It's made on special occasions. List of ingredients includes: potatoes, hard-boiled egg, beets, mayonnaise, and herring. On the side, grandma also included tilapia she made last night with leek - it was incredibly delicious.

And the final treat, that again is eaten on special occasions, is caviar on white toast. I haven't had caviar in ages!!!

May seem like a strange combination, but all I have to say is that it's a Russian thing and also that it's not a regular thing. As you can tell from my previous posts, this is not something I've had thus far since I've started blogging about my daily meals! Just consider this a cultural experience :)

Hope you enjoyed another sneak peak into the world of Russian cuisine! And hopefully, I didn't scare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment