Sunday, February 26, 2012

Very Berry & Sweet Saturday {Wheat Berry Cereal}

Those leftover wheat berries had to be eaten, and quite promptly (and deliciously) they were! I loved today's creation - totally delicious, totally original, totally healthy!


Blueberry Wheatberry Cereal


20120226-084724.jpg




  • 1/2 cup Wyman's Wild Blueberries (give time to defrost - I did so overnight!)

  • 1/2 cup cooked wheatberries

  • 1 tsp chia seeds

  • 1 tsp brown sugar

  • 1/8 tsp salt

  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract

  • 1/2 cup milk

  • Adorned with Honey Nut Cheerios for sweetness and light crunch :)


20120226-084738.jpg


Lunch was wonderful! Do you notice my usual arrangement - a bowl of soup on on my fave square plate? I like plating all of my food rather than serve as I eat. It's helpful to visualize the portions (and it looks totally pretty!). Of course, this doesn't mean I don't go for seconds...


20120226-084746.jpg


Lunch included cauliflower potato soup with fresh herbs; sauteed zucchini, eggplant, red bell pepper, onion, and carrot (with a squirt of ketchup - adds amazing sweetness and creaminess to the mix!); and "imitation crab meat" (Alaskan pollock) cooked with onion, celery, and leek.


20120226-084753.jpg


...Now, what was consumed the rest of the day was (unfortunately) a picture-less but a sweet bliss...


Afternoon snack included my fave CHO, 1/2 of mini whole wheat bagel, and coffee.


We had family friends over for dinner, for which we made mixed salad (with cranberries and walnuts = love), mashed potatoes, and "мясо по французски " (pork chops a la French... though I don't actually think the French make this...). Pork chops are beaten until tender, rubbed with salt + pepper, and then topped with red onion, a small dallop of mayo, and grated cheese. Baked at 350F for ~20min, until done. This is a treat that we only make for special occasions (my family rarely makes pork), and oh my goodness, it was delicious! I haven't had it probably in... 4 years... Oh, and we also had freshly made crepes with tea for dessert.


As I mentioned in my previous post, I had special plans to meet up with my girlfriends to attend a gymnastics competition! It was so fun! I was in awe, and there were so many times when I felt like my heart had stopped as I watched the gymnasts do crazy flips and jumps. I have so much respect for professional athletes... And these were not only full-time athletes, but also full-time students! Incredible.


We then went out for dessert at Old Man Rafferty's to celebrate one of my friend's birthday! Being indecisive and clearly in love with sugar, we ordered FOUR pieces of different cakes... Exact names escape me, but one was topped with salted caramel, another was infused with bailey's espresso, another had apples, and the last but not least was a chocolate blackout cake. To say we were sugar high does not do it justice...


20120226-084808.jpg

It was so fun to finally spend time with my girlfriends. We are all so busy and stressed out with our studies, that these moments are always truly special!


I hope you all find the time to spend with your friends and loved ones, no matter how busy life is... At the end of the day, it's the moments with the people you care about and those that care about you that truly make life worth it. Stress isn't worth it, however.


More fun get togethers are planned for Sunday! Gosh, I'm such a social butterfly this weekend (for once...)

3 comments:

  1. I love Old Man Rafferty's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] this, you may ask? Because I recently hit a new milestone in my blogging life… I posted my 100th post. That’s right… I’ve written ONE HUNDRED POSTS… Each and every one [...]

    ReplyDelete