Thursday, February 9, 2012

Very orange {Lunch}

...No, don't worry, I didn't overdose on carrots this time! :)


More bright colors in today's lunch, going along with today's theme! There is no such thing as too much sunshine in one's life. Grandma made Borscht. We pulled out some leftovers. I made everything else. We shared and enjoyed each other's company. :)


20120209-153002.jpg


The lunch consisted of many small, savory bites. I felt like I was taste-testing and rotating from one side dish, to the next! But the pâté/chutney/paste/spread/dip??? I haven't given it an official name in English, and am not sure if it already exists.


Red Pepper & Zucchini pâté/chutney/paste/spread/dip:




  • 1/4 yellow onion, diced

  • 1 carrot, shredded

  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped

  • 2 medium zucchinis, chopped

  • salt to taste

  • oil for sauteing


Instructions: Use a large pan or separate small ones to sauté each vegetable separately. I used one big one (no need to wash four pans!). Start by sautéing the onion. Once clear and yellow, move to the side/periphery of the pan, and add shredded carrots. Add more oil if necessary to prevent burning. Once done, mix carrots and onion, and again push to the side. Now add the red pepper, and repeat the process. And, same thing goes for the zucchini. Finally, mix all the sautéed vegetables, and cook until they've become soft. Transfer to a blender (or a bowl if you are using a hand blender), and blend! Season with salt to taste. A teaspoon of nutritional yeast also blends well with the flavor of this dish.

I like to spread it on a piece of toast :)

20120209-153019.jpg


20120209-153024.jpg


Today's taste-testing included roasted sweet potatoe slices, 1/2 veggie patty, left-over plov, and bread with the zucchini spread. I see lots of orange! :)


An afternoon snack was a new combo that I will definitely have again... Crumbled up Deep Chocolate VitaTop with cottage cheese. I am trying to increase my protein intake, and this snack surely meets the protein need with 16g of protein (30% DV)!! And, yes, a cup of coffee... or two cups rather... But it's half-caf-half-decaf!


Not surprisingly, I later had an orange for a snack... And actually, that wasn't intentional! :) It looked so beautiful - like a flower - I had to take a shot of it. Of course, I did. :) #foodbloggerobsession


20120209-192230.jpg

1 comment:

  1. [...] These snacks successfully held me over til dinner, which included salad, plov (Russian pilaf) with chicken, and red pepper-zucchini spread! [...]

    ReplyDelete