Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Hour with Grandma

20120221-222712.jpg

Okay... if I haven't admitted this to you already... I'm obsessed with this protein muffin recipe that I've been making for the past few weeks. It's delicious, easy, fast, and so filling! Today, I topped it off with a spoonful of PB2 peanut butter, which was the perfect nutty saltiness I desired!


For snack, I packed a jar of raw veggies - celery and carrot sticks to munch on during class! [There is a reason one of my nicknames is bunny-rabbit in Russian...]. I also always carry a little jar of nuts with me for those days when my packed snack just doesn't curb my morning hunger... Today was one of those days! So, I also munched on a handful of almonds and peanuts.


20120221-213647.jpg


Then came lunch and a lunch lecture (on the role of medical interpreter in community clinics). With lunch lectures comes free lunch, and today's free lunch by far surpassed the typical free pizza. Gourmet sandwiches - one with turkey and another with grilled veggies and mushrooms. Guess which one I liked more? :) Veggie one, duh!


20120221-213702.jpg


The day was beautiful, but I just wasn't in the mood to go running... However, knowing me and how amazing I always feel after any run - I forced myself to put on my running shoes and head outdoors for a 3-miler. No regrets there fo' sho'! Though I felt a little tired and my legs a bit heavy, I came home feeling refreshed and relaxed.


20120221-213846.jpg


And talking about running shoes... I finally invested in a new pair, and I'm in LOVE. Brooks PureFlow shoes definitely fall in my "treat" category, but a treat surely worth the investment ($90 >> but I got a 10% student discount, therefore, $81!!!). They are well-cuchioned throughout the sole, and especially in the midfoot-forefoot, which is exactly what I was looking for (I'm recovering from a metatarsalgia). The forefoot's sole is also wider, giving the forefoot landing more surface area, and thus a softer landing and more stability.


20120221-215807.jpg


20120221-215816.jpg


And post-run, I got ready for a Happy Hour with my grandma! Well, not the kind of happy hour you all think... It's my family's tradition to have coffee or tea time every afternoon... Today was a coffee date (I brewed half-caf-half-decaf for us). And to hold us over until dinner, we had our beloved Chobani. I also toasted whole wheat mini bagels for us. I topped my bagel slice with Laughing Cow soft cheese, grandma chose butter. To "fool" our stomachs, I sliced the mini bagels into 4 slices instead of the regular two. So what you see here is actually just 1.5 mini bagels! We left the happy hour with happy tummies. :)


Chobani is always my go-to snack after a run - the protein source is unbeatable! The coffee may seem like a bad choice for after a work-out, but it actually works great because of its antioxidant content. [In fact, it was recommended by Runner's World!]


20120221-213710.jpg


More antioxidants came in the form of a bowl of defrosted mixed berries. No sugar added. Eaten as is. Loved every bite :)


20120221-213717.jpg


For dinner, I had a craving to fulfill... All I wanted was fried eggs! I've read way too many blog posts on runny yolks atop of a bed of grains... hence the craving... My happyolk rested on top of buckwheat kasha. A side salad (topped with roasted shredded beet) completed this wholesome meal.


20120221-213724.jpg


20120221-213735.jpg


20120221-213741.jpg


...but here is the real treat to finish off the night! Haven't had ice cream in what seems like forever! This one is my favorite... Haagen-Dazs Vanilla & Almonds Bar... No more words are necessary right here...


20120221-213748.jpg


Hope your week is going well! Don't forget to treat yourself to something special - edible or not! A moment of joy... A moment of rest... A moment of peace and quiet... A moment to be...

1 comment: