Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Urbane Grain Whole Grain Quinoa Blend {Review}


Hi friends! Oh my goodness, what a week it's been! Life has been preoccupied with personal, family, and school-related ups and downs, and I am so sorry for not being able to do some blog updates! Thankfully, plenty of wonderful friends, comforting eats, gorgeous spring weather, and outdoor runs & walks have helped to keep my spirits up.

And so, I'm here, excited to share with you a yummy treat that I finally got to try today. Remember I told you about the "Top 5 Food Trends" news report I saw that highlighted the Al Dente Pasta products that I'm totally crazy about? Well, also on the list were products by a new, up-and-coming company called Urbane Grain. Urbane Grain makes a variety of Whole Grain Blends - a combination of quinoa, brown rice, and millet - already mixed with various spices and seasonings. These products take all the work and all the thinking out of preparing, and the blend takes 20-30min to cook! Easy, breezy!

You know I looove my quinoa and can eat it for any meal! A complete source of protein, gluten-free, slightly nutty in flavor, slightly crunchy in texture, and oh so nutritious, quinoa is truly wonderful and a crowd pleaser.

Urbane Grain was very kind to send me two samples of their Whole Grain Quinoa Blends to try - (1) the three cheese and mushroom and (2) the smokey bacon.

20120410-220651.jpg

20120410-220656.jpg

20120410-220700.jpg
Yup, this label surely speaks the truth. Urbane Grain products are natural, clean, wholesome, and healthy, and tonight, they surely proved to be delicious, too!

Ladies and gents, I present to you the three cheese & mushroom blend!
20120410-222559.jpg
[Yup - there are whole bits of dried mushrooms in there!]

Prepared with a side of pan-roasted Brussels sprouts, cooked with garlic, onion, and fresh tomatoes... You know me by now... when in doubt/short-for-time/out-of-culinary-ideas - I make Brussels sprouts! They never disappoint :)
20120410-222611.jpg

20120410-222621.jpg

20120410-222630.jpg

The quinoa blend was perfectly seasoned and flavored with cheese and had a hint of that subtle, heavenly mushroom aroma. It reminded me of risotto - both in flavor and in texture. I must say, the combination of the three different grains, each with a subtly different texture, worked quite well together!

Urbane Grain has made it so easy to put together a wholesome meal in a short time. While the quinoa is cooking, you have just enough time to put together a quick salad, roast some veggies or tofu in the oven, or pan-roast fresh fish on the stove top. And because the quinoa blend is so flavorful and satisfying, it totally works as a meal on its own!

Eating a healthy and clean diet can't get simpler than that! :)
Urbane Grain is growing, and if you are lucky, it may already be at a store near you!

Check out the locations, and here are all of the flavors to drool over... ;)
  • Sun Dried Tomato & Basil
  • Three Cheese & Mushroom
  • Miso with Edamame & Scallions
  • Smokey Bacon
  • Cracked Black Pepper and Sea Salt
  • Roasted Garlic and Fine Herbs
  • Southwest Black Bean
  • Indian Coconut Curry
  • Thai Red Curry
More info on Urbane Grain can be found on their websiteFacebook page, and Twitter! Show some love and mention that you heard about them from me! :)

P.S. Eeek! I haven't yet posted the winners of the two recent giveaways! Thank you all, for your incredible patience! I'll do it ASAP, promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment